Voting by Mail: Step by Step
A voter may vote-by-mail by completing the Application for Vote-By-Mail Ballot and returning the application to their County Clerk.
Here are some easy, step-by-step instructions on how to complete your vote-by-mail ballot, to make sure your vote counts:
1. Look inside the envelope you receive in the mail for these items. Pictures of the items are included below:
- The ballot
- An inner envelope with an attached certificate
- A mailing envelope
2. Completely fill in the oval next to each of your selections in blue or black ink.
3. Fill in and sign the certificate, keeping it attached to the inner envelope.
4. Place the ballot into the certificate envelope.
5. Then, place the certificate envelope into the mailing envelope.
6. Return your ballot. How you return it is up to you. Select one of the following three ways:
- Mail: It must be postmarked on or before 8:00 p.m. Election Day and be received by your county’s Board of Elections on or before 6 days after Election Day.
- Secure Ballot Drop Box: Place it in one of your county’s secure ballot drop boxes by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. Secure Ballot Drop Box locations
- Board of Elections Office: Deliver it in person to your county’s Board of Elections Office by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. County Election Officials
NOTE: Your Vote-By-Mail ballot CANNOT be returned to your In-Person Early Voting Poll Location or your Election Day Poll Location.
Ballots vary by county, so yours may look different or be a different size and shape.
Your Instruction Sheet
For your vote to count, you must follow the instructions precisely.
Ballots vary by county, so yours may be a different size and shape and it will have different candidates.
Follow the instructions precisely. Fill in the oval completely. Make no stray marks. Check both sides of the ballot.
Your Ballot Certification And Inner Security Envelope
Fill out the certification and sign it. Your signature must match the one on file at the Election Board. Then put your completed ballot in the security envelope.
Your Postpaid Return Envelope
Put your inner security envelope with the certification still attached into the outer return envelope. If there is a return address area, fill it out and sign it. Your address must match the one where this was mailed. If there is a window in the envelope, make sure your preprinted address and bar code are showing.